Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Early Signs


Early in pregnancy there were some signs that something wasn’t quite right, but they were virtually impossible to read without hindsight.  The first odd moment was directly after the two home pregnancy tests.  To confirm with my insurance carrier and doctor that I was indeed pregnant I took a clinic test.  This came back negative.  As this seemed unlikely (unless sadly something had gone wrong) I took another home test which was positive.  I called my doctor and she encouraged me to come back in a day or two for a retest.  This test was positive.  This all seemed a little strange and didn’t sit well with me, but I let it go.
At the eight week mark I had my first sonogram.  Seth and I were so excited to see the baby.  I could remember during Reyna’s eight week sonogram seeing her round little head and tiny arms and legs.  Logan’s did not appear like this at all.  He still very much resembled a tadpole more than a miniture baby.  The doctor suggested that my conception date could just be wrong.  I was certain within days of the conception date, but after a bit of disagreement I conceded to change the date to reflect nearly two weeks earlier.  We were then encouraged to come back in a few weeks for another sonogram.

Tadpole Logan
The significance of this moment is now so apparent as in normal fetal development the natural clefts in the palate and lips will close around weeks six to eleven and the eyes will also complete the majority of their development at this time.  I do not find it a coincidence that in the early stages Logan’s development looked behind his original due date.  I also feel the inconsistent pregnancy tests may have been a result of things being a bit off early in pregnancy.  It all sat a little funny with me but I was easily able to think it was just a strange coincidence until my twenty week ultrasound.  As for the repeat sonogram it was done a few weeks later as ordered.   Then Logan, our little fighter, fully resembled a remarkable tiny baby waving his arms around as expected.

(His head is down and to the right)


No comments: